Developmental milestones are the skills that most children can do by a certain age.
At the age of 1 year the child should be able to do the following:
- Points at objects
- Makes more meaningful sounds e.g. no, mamma, cup, dadda…
- Responds to own name
- May take a few steps without holding on to you or things
- Sits well and gets into sitting position alone
- Pulls to stand from sitting position and can sit down again
- Walks around furniture
- May crawl or bottom shuffle
- May stand alone
- Help turn the pages of a book
- Throw a small ball
If the child is not doing all of this, or just some of them, DO NOT WORRY! Every child is different, special, and they develop at different stages. If you are concerned about your child, you can always address to your GP, a health visitor. Never compare your child with your neighbour’s, sister’s, your enemy, your brother’s, they are all different and none has the same DNA.