Depression does not only affect adults. Children and teenagers can get depressed too, same like adults, the important thing is to understand and to be aware of that.
I can say about myself that when I was 14 years old I felt really depressed for about a year, there was some changes in my life I had to embrace. I did not knew that was depression but I can identify it now by the symptoms I experienced.
Here are some examples of depression I also experienced
Signs of depression in teenagers
- sadness, or a low mood that does not go away
- being irritable or grumpy all the time
- not being interested in things they used to enjoy
- feeling tired and exhausted a lot of the time
- refusing to eat, shower themselves or clean their room
- Refusing to go to school; look at the changes in performances at school
Sometimes is tricky for parents to identify the signs of depression, but if you see any changes in your child just talk with and find the right help, is important for kids to have someone on their side. Like I had no one to help me, even though there was my teachers, social worker, some friends, but I still felt alone and discouraged. Dad became an alcoholic and my Mamma left the home, and I started the High School with no support from parents, God, is so hard and depressive. But you, yes you the one who reads this post you can help a child by showing support.
Let’s talk about young children, it’s hard to hear for them words like ( I am angry, upset, sad, you know, words that describes feelings). But you can see changes in their behaviour, in this way they telling you that something might be wrong and they are feeling depressed.
Signs of depression for 3-5 years old
- They might not be interested in the activities
- They might have problems sleeping
- irritable ;social withdrawal
- decreased appetite
If you’re a believer in God, you know that praying is weapon we can use all the time! Pray for your child and know that every person can go through depression, but God is there to help and He knows our problems!
ISAIAH 41:10 DEUTERONOMY 31:8